DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2009-03-25 23:26:36

MrJohnson

No Javascript Alerts in IE8

All JS calls to alert are simply ignored when IE8 is active. IE6 and IE7 work as expected. Running on 32 bit Vista with SP1

Any ideas?

#2 2009-03-26 06:46:57

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: No Javascript Alerts in IE8

Yes, this has been reported by another user (not in the forum unfortunately). I am working on it.

#3 2009-03-31 23:27:09

Kral

I've also seen this problem.  A simple html program with JS running under Vista home prem.  The alert work in in 5.5, 6, 7 but not 8.

I'm posting in case it provide more information to assist you.  Your previous reply is noted.

#4 2009-04-11 23:10:31

manngo

Ditto. I am running Windows XP with SP2 and IE7 installed.

I have found that I can use prompt(), which I am now using as a workaround, but that neither alert() nor confirm() works.

#5 2011-08-26 16:06:09

psdie

Hi Fabrice - thanks for this excellent tool, much appreciated! smile

OK, 2 more test cases for you RE alerts not showing up in certain IE versions:

- W7 64 SP1, IE8 installed, IETester 0.4.11 - alert() etc run fine in all versions.
  - W7 64 SP1, IE9 installed, IETester 0.4.11 - alert()/confirm()/prompt() don't show up in IE7/8, but other JS runs fine and IE6/9 are fine.

The only difference above seems to be IE8 vs IE9 being the natively installed browser. Hopefully that narrows down so you can squash this old bug? Alerts are commonly used for debugging, hence this being a common use case.

Many thanks,  BJ

#6 2011-12-21 07:20:39

walkerworks

Sigh, such an old post...but still not fixed in ie8 - but I've been using this as a workaround to do debugging...in case any of you need it. Just plops the debug information at the top of the page without an Alert, Confirm or Prompt.

var _alert = document.createElement('<div>');
_alert.innerHTML = 'your debug info';
document. body.insertBefore(_alert,document.body.firstChild);

#7 2011-12-23 16:47:39

sz

In my case all ie7, 8 and 9 have a problem with alert().
Thanks to Walkerworks for the workaround!

#8 2012-01-17 03:19:20

fmmarzoa

I have same problem with IE7, IE8 and IE9 at least.

I often  use javascript alert to make the user know about invalid form fields, so walkerworks workaround is not useful for me. Perhaps there is a chance of create a better workaround just overriding javascript alert function:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1729 … ding-alert

But I did not test it yet.

Regards,

Last edited by fmmarzoa (2012-01-17 03:19:53)