DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2009-06-26 06:03:09

CisJokey

Debugbar with ModalWindows

Hello Dear

I've read in the version history that debug bar is now able to be shown in modal dialog windows. I tested this and I can't get it work. I got some tips in this forum how to enable/disable debugbar with a shortcut (Hotkey), but when I hit the shortcut in the modal window, the sidebar in the original window gets toggled on and off.

I was able to reproduce it in IE7 with this code;

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html style="height:100%;width:100%">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title>Beispiel</title>
<style type="text/css">
</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
    function TestModal() {
        var setting = 'dialogHeight:' + "400px" + ';dialogWidth:' + "400px" + ';resizable:' + 'yes' + ';scroll:' + 'yes' + ';status:0; center:on';
        var returnValue = window.showModalDialog("http://www.my-debugbar.com", arguments, setting);
    }
</script>

</head>
<body>
    <form id="form1">
        <input id="Button1" type="button" value="Test Modal" onclick="TestModal()" />   
    </form>
</body>
</html>

#2 2009-06-26 06:13:30

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: Debugbar with ModalWindows

Hi,

Be sure to have the focus on the newly opened modal dialog. Just click on the web page of the modal dialog before using the hot key.

#3 2009-06-26 06:46:29

CisJokey

I tested it with wwwgoogle.com in the modal window, placed the cursor to the textbox and then hit CTRL+Q to enable the debugbar, but it still triggers in the main window.

Any Idea?

#4 2009-06-26 06:48:51

fabrice
DebugBar Support

What is your OS version (including service pack) and IE version ?

#5 2009-06-26 07:35:33

CisJokey

Im Using 32Bit Windows XP with Service Pack 3 and more or less the latest Update. Internet-Explorer Version is 7.

@Edit
And Im using the latest version of Debugbar (5.2.2)

Last edited by CisJokey (2009-06-26 07:38:39)

#6 2009-06-26 07:48:18

CisJokey

Can you tell me which shortcut you use, when you open a new modal window to toggle the debugbar?

Last edited by CisJokey (2009-06-26 07:48:32)

#7 2009-06-26 08:01:54

fabrice
DebugBar Support

This is user-configurable, and disabled by default : You can go to the DebugBar options dialog, select hot keys tab, enable the first entry and select the preferred hot key to toggle DebugBar.

#8 2009-06-26 09:39:21

CisJokey

Yes, I did that but maybe I use a Shortcut das does something special? Tried with Ctrl-K and Ctrl-Q but with both shortcuts it toggles in the original window (even I have the focus set in to the modal window).

(I just want to configure my IE 7 Debugbar as near as to your configuration, maybe it works then..?)

Last edited by CisJokey (2009-06-26 09:40:14)

#9 2009-06-26 09:52:50

fabrice
DebugBar Support

I tried with Ctrl+K and it is working for me. Maybe you have another extension that is handling hot keys and is blocking DebugBar extension.
Is Ctrl+K working on the main window ? If you change it to Alt+B for instance, is it still working on the main window ? Are you closing all your IE instances after changing the keys in the options dialog ?

#10 2009-06-26 09:59:41

CisJokey

Yes, both Shortcuts did work on the mainwindow. When I hit in in the modal window it is triggered in the mainwindow (so it basically works).

I just had a try in a Virtual Machine (VMWare) with another copy in Windows XP... Plain IE 7 (fresh installed) with debug bar. And I did not get it work in this machine either (same behavior). --> Service Pack 2.

Did you try with the code I posted?

What Operating System are you using?

@Edit
Yes I'm closing all my IE instances when setting a new shortcut.

What I did not really get, you mentioned using the Shortcut with "ALT". But as I can say its nearly impossible to use ALT as shortcut key because it triggers the Menu of the IE itself.... (so you can navigate through File | Edit | View ...) ?

Last edited by CisJokey (2009-06-26 10:03:32)

#11 2009-06-26 10:05:36

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Ha. Sorry !

The shortcut is not working on popup windows opened with showModalDialog. It is only working with popup opened with window.open method.

showModalDialog has a special behavior on IE, and the window opened is not an IE window so sidebar extensions are not available.

For your tests, what you can do is use window.open during development phase and then replace it with showModalDialog for production.

#12 2009-06-26 10:23:40

CisJokey

Ok, good to hear.

The problem is, window.open just opens a new PopUp Window. What I exactly need is the "ShowModalDialog" Method, this method seems to open a curious new Page which does not behave like every other window.
If you place for example a div in a webpage, and tell this div to use Width:100% it works fine in every normal window in IE (even opened with Window.Open) but if you open the same page via OpenModal, the rendering differs.

I noticed (via trial and error) that you can overcome this via Iframes, but this does also not work really got. So what I tried to do is debug especially this case, because then things get messed up :-). If I use ure method with window.open all works fine and I dont have to debug ;-)

@Edit

Do you think you will implement this (if possible) in any future version?

Last edited by CisJokey (2009-06-26 10:25:16)

#13 2009-06-26 11:21:30

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Do you think you will implement this (if possible) in any future version?

I will add it to my todo list, but it will be later than sooner.