DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2010-04-05 15:30:16

shadedecho

Companion.JS stopped working

I just got a new laptop with Windows 7 Pro x64 installed. It has IE8 installed.

To get Companion.JS working, I knew I needed a script debugger, so I downloaded and installed "Microsoft Script Debugger", which I've used just fine in the past with Companion.JS.

I then promptly installed Companion.JS and Debugbar, and verified that both were working properly (including the settings in the Internet Options about not disabling script debugging). I had to turn off "Protected Mode", but as soon as I did, Companion.JS started working.

Things were just fine for a few days. Then I installed Office 2003 Pro, and now Companion.JS has stopped working. This is what it reports:

Companion.JS BHO loaded : OK
JS Debugger Thread running : OK
JS debugger version : OLD
JS Debugger not connected : LIMITATION - OLD debugger is not working in protected mode
Internet Explorer Version : 8.0.7600.16385
Protected Mode : OFF

Back on my old Windows XP SP3 laptop, I had a similar problem. I ended up, through trial and error, finding out that the the "Microsoft Script Editor", which you can only launch from Microsoft Word -> Tools -> Macros menu, has a setting in it for the JIT debugger. You have to disable the JIT debugging from there, and then IE and Companion.JS work just fine together. One thing to note, however, is that was IE7, not IE8 on my other laptop.

Anyway, when installing Word broke Companion.JS, I surmised that maybe this same problem was at play. I went in and disabled the JIT debugger, but still had the same problem. Then I went so far as to uninstall the Microsoft Script Editor (and ostensibly its JIT debugger) from Office. Then I uninstalled Microsoft Script Debugger and Companion.JS and reinstalled both. Still no go.

So I'm at a loss as to what to do. How can I get Companion.JS to work in IE8 on Win7 when Office 2003 is installed?

#2 2010-04-05 22:07:28

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: Companion.JS stopped working

Hi,

If you have IE8, you don't need Microsoft Script Debugger, because IE8 integrated the "new" debugger version.

So you can uninstall Microsoft Script Debugger.

Then, you can start IE in Protected mode as well, because the new debugger is able to run in protected mode and Companion.JS should be able to connect to it.

You can then check if Companion.JS is working. If not, you can try to open the "IE8 Developer tools" and try to start their script debugger.
If it's not working, the problem may come from a registry or something not related to Companion.JS.

If it is working, then the problem might come from Companion.JS. You can check first if the IE developer tools is not started, because only one debugger can be connected at a time.

#3 2010-04-05 22:58:22

shadedecho

I uninstalled Microsoft Script Debugger. I rebooted. Uninstalled Companion.JS and then reinstalled it.

Still not working, and same status report as above in "About" related to an old debugger not working in protected mode.

Turned protected mode on, still not working. slightly different message in About:

Companion.JS BHO loaded : OK
JS Debugger Thread not running : PROBLEM
JS debugger version : OLD
JS Debugger not connected : LIMITATION - OLD debugger is not working in protected mode
Internet Explorer Version : 8.0.7600.16385
Protected Mode : ON

Notice the "Thread Not Running: PROBLEM" line, which is different. But still get the curious "OLD debugger is not working in protected mode" weirdness, like that's a catch all message.

Then tried to use the "Developer Tools" and script debugging seems to work fine. It was able to catch a JS error, and also console.log messages.

#4 2010-04-05 22:59:51

shadedecho

also, note, that it still says "JS debugger version: OLD" in there, even though I've uninstalled Microsoft Script Debugger, and disabled JIT in the debugger that comes with Microsoft Office.

#5 2010-04-05 23:07:23

fabrice
DebugBar Support

The JS debugger thread not running is the first problem.
Then, the "OLD debugger" message is because the thread is not running.

Ha... I just realized that you are using Windows 7 x64. Do you also have IE8 in 64 bits, or in 32 bits ?

Maybe that's the problem.

#6 2010-04-05 23:23:02

shadedecho

Note that it says "OLD debugger" even when it was running correctly (with Microsoft Script Debugger), *and* even when the "JS Debugger Thread running: OK" is present. So I'm not sure that it's actually related to the "Thread" not running as you claim.

I only use IE in 32bit mode, because no plugins will ever run with IE 64bit.

Also, Companion.JS *did* work in my configuration (at the time with Microsoft Script Debugger) until I installed Microsoft Office 2003 Pro.

#7 2010-04-07 02:45:14

shadedecho

fyi: i just uninstalled microsoft office and reinstalled companion.js, and it still won't work correctly.

but the ie developer tools are able to connect and debug just fine.

#8 2010-04-09 07:58:14

fabrice
DebugBar Support

I don't see what can be wrong. It's working fine onmy machine.

Just to be sure, can you check on the "Companion.JS" "Options" dialog to check if the "Disable Javascript Debugger" is not checked ?

#9 2010-04-09 12:32:36

shadedecho

it's definitely enabled. i've tried switching it too. i'd be happy to do a remote desktop/vnc connection to show you my system so you can see. i'm really frustrated because this is my only system i can't get companion.js working on.

is there some way to switch it into some more verbose logging mode so we can see what debugger it's trying to attach to and failing?

#10 2010-05-10 18:03:18

fabrice
DebugBar Support

For other people that might find this thread, I can reproduce the problem and I'm working on it to release a new version that will correct the problem.

#11 2010-05-18 16:17:18

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

The new v0.5.4 should correct the problem.

Note that when Office 2003 is installed, an internet explorer needs to be "re-registered" again :

* Open a command line window as admion user

* Go to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer" under x64 installs).

* Run the command : "regsvr32 msdbg2.dll"

* Close and restart IE, and Companion.JS should work again.