DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2008-08-28 03:34:01

aninstance

When do we get IE8b2?

I love the software of course! So am I the first to ask when a beta 2 version is ready?

#2 2008-08-28 10:15:13

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: When do we get IE8b2?

Hi,

I will try to do it asap, maybe this week-end, so IETester with ie8b2 will be out next week if everything is ok.

#3 2008-08-28 17:07:01

Ricardo

Will we have Beta 1 and Beta 2 or only Beta 2?

#4 2008-08-28 17:10:31

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Only Beta 2.

#5 2008-09-01 10:08:46

makinero

What's new? You didn't release a new version of IeTester containing IE8 bêta2. When will this ready ? Thank you ! I'm in a hurry to test this new one ! I don't want to install it... Thank you !

#6 2008-09-01 12:10:56

mmcnickle

Hi,

Looking forward to the IETester with ie8b2 support smile

Thanks for all your hard work!

-- Martin

[url]http://www.whompbox.com[/url]

#7 2008-09-01 19:55:18

Ricardo

Btw, IE8 Beta2 is very stable. Upgraded the IE7 installed on my XP and haven't had any significant problem yet. It's nice when a single tab crashes, but not the whole browser smile
CSS is somewhat broken in the new version, but we can easily toggle the compatibility mode (IE7-like).

#8 2008-09-07 12:41:34

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

IETester v0.2.3 with IE8 beta 2 support has been released.

Enjoy !

#9 2008-09-07 17:14:53

aninstance

Thanks fabrice!  Your software is a great benefit to the www (formidable!).

While I do enjoy IETester's ease of use compared to running muliple virutal pcs or multi-booting, I have found IE8's rendering to be different than webkit/gecko in ways that still puzzle me. Does anyone know of good references with respect to getting things to render properly in IE8? 

I noticed that IE8b2 completely wigs out on Google Custom Search results pages where it continually opens new tabs/windows of the result page. Most of the other problems that I have noticed are css related.

#10 2008-09-07 22:02:00

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

I am not sure to understand your point. Do you have a problem with IE8 beta 2 rendering engine ? or with IE8 beta 2 rendering badly only UNDER ietester (that is the default IE8 beta 2 is handling correctly your code) ?

If this is an IE8 beta 2 problem, I can't do anything (and moreover, that's why IETester exists, to check problems under different IE version).

If this is an IETester issue, can you send me a public url where I can see the problem ?

Thanks.

#11 2008-09-08 10:53:13

aninstance

What I was referring to is IE8 itself.  Now that we have an easy way to use IE of many versions, I was hoping that a reserve of knowledge has accumulated somewhere.

Im sure the rendering issues in an IE8 tab in IETester are due to IE8, but is a particular problem due to incomplete or incorrect implementation by Microsoft? In that case I could chalk up a problem to IE's beta status.  Or perhaps the problem is due to MS having an alternate interpretation of a standard or perhaps a different opinion on what should be implemented.  It's also conceivable that MS could intentionally go a different way on a particular rendering issue than gecko/webkit for strategic reasons.  In that case, its up to us (website implementers) to code around such an issue.

So back to my question, IETester is showing me many ways in which IE8b2 is differing from the pack and I want to know for each issue: is this something IE is fixing or is this how IE8 is going to do it and I have to accomodate it.  I know that this may go beyond the scope of dicussing IETester alone, but since the whole reason for the tool is for us to more easily accomodate IE, its not completely off topic (I hope).

I can share this: QuirksMode.org by Paul Koch http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html chronicles many specific css differences (on occasion I have gotten data appears to differ from his data for a specific test) which is mostly fantastic however it simply lists the differences and I was hoping someone out there has a resource with perhaps more intimate discussion or knowledge of specific IE8 issues (and knowledge of what are real issues and what are just beta-incompleteness) with workarounds.

#12 2008-09-08 12:34:05

fabrice
DebugBar Support

OK.

I see two points here :

IETester is showing me many ways in which IE8b2 is differing from the pack and I want to know for each issue: is this something IE is fixing or is this how IE8 is going to do it and I have to accomodate it.

This is a question you should ask to Microsoft ! I think nobody else can answer...

I was hoping that a reserve of knowledge has accumulated somewhere.

I was thinking of opening an IE bugs knowledge base some months ago. Maybe something to do in the future, as a kind of bugtracker with possible workarounds for each bug...