DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2009-01-12 19:52:49

senixon

How to find out IE 6 build version IETester is based on?

Hello,

Is there a way to find out which version of IE6 IE tester renders as? I'm seeing some rendering bugs in IETester 0.2.3 that are not occurring in a VM image running IE 6 (Build: 6.00.2900.2180)... I'm both curious if this is a IETester bug or just IE build differences.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2009-01-12 22:49:41

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: How to find out IE 6 build version IETester is based on?

Hi,

The ie6 version included in IETester is 6.0.2800.1314 (based on mshtml.dll version). Note also that IETester is not perfect and some rendering features are not yet working properly (for instance transparency using filters is only working when IETester is launched as admin).

But if you know what is the difference between IETester and the real IE6 (css, javascript, html, etc...) feel free to post so I can investigate and try to correct for a future release.

#3 2009-01-12 22:58:39

senixon

Thanks for the reply fabrice! Glad to know there is a specific version available and fully understand that it's not a perfect copy of IE.

The observation I'm seeing has to do with hasLayout and sorry to say can't get scientific enough to document the bug in a way that will lead to a proper investigation. For what it's worth: I see a page shift when I mouse over a drop down menu. It appears to resolve it self when I put a border around all divs in the the header where the nav is contained. unfortunately I have gradient backgrounds and the borders will not be acceptable in the final release, but that's a different conversation.

#4 2009-01-12 23:03:10

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Thanks for the feedback. Do you have a sample url where I can see the difference ?

#5 2009-01-12 23:06:52

senixon

not at the moment, it will be a highly visible site when done, perhaps I can send you a private message with it's url if I don't find a fix... but this may be a while and possible will no longer matter if there is a new version of IETester in the works.

Thanks for your help and your hard work on this project!

#6 2009-01-13 08:46:31

senixon

Am I under correct assumption that version 6.0.2800.1314 of IE is PRE-Beta1? I don't have any reliable method to verify this, except Google.

#7 2009-01-13 09:09:57

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Regarding this page :

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t … umber.html

this version is "6.0.2800.1314 IE 6 Update v.04 Developer Preview (SP1b Beta)".

Maybe this will change in a future IETester version and I will pack the latest IE6 version.

#8 2009-01-13 09:19:14

senixon

Thanks fabrice... wow, yeah  most of the updates were security related but there were quite a few layout related ones that were fairly major, Update would definitely make it a more reliable testing tool. As-is I would say it works for 98% of all testing requirements and by far the best thing out there for IE testing.

#9 2009-02-11 02:46:32

dannyfoo

Had the same issue with senixon, regarding hasLayout.

Tested in IETested IE6 tab and kept refreshing whilst clearing the cache. No good. Still didn't reflect changes of the height: 1%; fix.

Luckily I had an older machine with IE6. Tested on that, the fix works. Just wasn't displayed in IETester.

Last edited by dannyfoo (2009-02-11 02:47:00)

#10 2009-02-11 13:31:41

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

The main question I have is : Should I integrate IE6 version from XP, or IE6 version from XPSP2 ?

I think I may integrate IE6 from XP version in future IETester releases.

#11 2009-02-11 20:27:38

Ricardo

You should integrate the one from XP+SP3, ie., build 5512.

#12 2009-02-11 20:32:20

senixon

+1 for SP3

makes the most sense going forward, IE8 is around the corner and requirements to support IE6 will start dropping off (hopefully) and if anything it will be supporting the latest version of IE6 which at the moment is SP3 and I doubt there will be any SP4 rendering changes if that ever comes out.

Ricardo wrote:

You should integrate the one from XP+SP3, ie., build 5512.

#13 2009-04-13 22:07:44

senixon

Just downloaded the last release of IETester (looks/works great!) and was just wondering if there are plans (or already done) to update IE6 build to SP3 (build 5512).

Thank you for all the hard work that goes in to making this product!

#14 2009-04-14 06:25:25

fabrice
DebugBar Support

It is not scheduled, but might be scheduled for a future release.