DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2010-04-07 16:01:13

CCDSystems

IETester New IE8 window in "Compatibility Mode"?

I have a problem on one of my pages (unfortunately, it's an internal page of a much larger app that isn't web-facing, so I can't give you an address), in that the page is rendering funny in MSIE8, and a little less funny in MSIE8 Compatibility Mode.  When I load the page up in an IETester IE8 window, it's displaying the "Compatibility Mode" version.  Is there any way to change this, so the IE8 window display as in Standards Mode?

Thanks.  This is a great tool for helping us to see what we need to change for our clients so that they can have a great browsing experience.

Daniel Bragg,
CCD Systems

#2 2010-04-07 17:38:47

Ricardo

Re: IETester New IE8 window in "Compatibility Mode"?

I think it will display in Compat Mode if the installed IE8 is set to that mode.

#3 2010-04-08 16:06:24

CCDSystems

When I open my MSIE 8, it doesn't _look_ like it's in "Compat Mode by default", as I need to click on the Compat Mode button to use it.

However, assuming it's true, how do I check for this, and "turn it off" then, so I can use the test framework to test for "real world" differences?

#4 2010-04-09 08:14:05

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Are you talking about IE8 tab under IETester ? IE8 itself ? Or both IETester and IE8 ?

It looks like it's more a problem with IE8 itself right ?

#5 2010-04-12 14:50:22

CCDSystems

To try to kep the two products separate, I'm calling "IE8 Itself" MSIE 8.

Ricardo replied that, "I think it will display in Compat Mode if the installed IE8 is set to that mode."  I only brought MSIE 8 into the conversation because of that, as I don't believe there is any way to set MSIE 8 into some sort of "Compat by default" mode.

When I run my page in MSIE 8, with compatibility mode Off, it looks weird.  When I run an IETester IE8 tab, it looks fine.  In fact, the IE8 tab looks identical to if I run the page in MSIE 8 Compat mode.

So, the real question is, Does the IE8 tab automatically render in Compat mode?  If it doesn't, then how do I control whether the IE8 tab uses Compat mode vs. Standards mode?

#6 2010-04-12 14:56:12

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Can you provide an url where I can reproduce your test ?

Did you check on DebugBar the "Info" tab. It tells you the rendering mode used for the current page.

If you are under IE8 mode, it will tell you "Standards IE8 mode". If you are in compatibility mode, it will tell you "Strict mode IE7".

#7 2010-04-12 15:21:00

CCDSystems

"(unfortunately, it's an internal page of a much larger app that isn't web-facing, so I can't give you an address.)"

I'll have a look at the Info tab to see what rendering mode it's using.

#8 2010-04-12 15:39:44

CCDSystems

Fabrice:

My MSIE 8 is rendering as I would expect (there's a CSS issue that causes it to display poorly in Standards mode, but OK in Compat mode), and DebugBar reports that when it displays poorly, it's using 'Standards IE8 mode' and when it's displaying OK, it's using 'Strict mode IE7', but that isn't really my issue.

My issue is that the IETester is displaying my page identical to when MSIE 8 is using 'Strict mode IE7', which isn't as helpful as if it were using 'Standard IE8 mode'.  I'm just wondering if IETester also has a way to change rendering modes, similar to how MSIE 8 does.

Daniel

#9 2010-04-12 15:41:09

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Yes, I understood your point. You can use DebugBar "inside" IETester and check what is the rendering mode in the ie8 tab inside IETester.

#10 2010-04-12 16:56:05

CCDSystems

Sorry, I misunderstood -- didn't realize that DebugBar can be run within the IETester.

It reports 'Strict mode IE7'.

#11 2010-04-13 13:41:31

fabrice
DebugBar Support

OK, so the IE8 tab under IETester is using the IE8 compat mode for your page.

#12 2010-04-13 20:10:00

CCDSystems

Understood, but how do I change it?

#13 2010-04-14 14:02:31

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Good question. I don't know. You can try to check on the IE8 documentation about compatibility mode.

#14 2010-06-23 12:52:24

Test This!

IE8 has a setting that forces intranet sites to always show in compbatibility mode. Go to: Tools\Compatability View Settings and there is a check box called "Display intranet sites in Compatability Mode". Uncheck this and I think you will be good to go!