DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2008-06-20 17:58:11

joelarson4

Feature Suggestions

I have been using this for a while now.  Here are a few things that could improve user experience:

[] It would be nice to be able to turn off the debugbar for certain sites, or better yet, turn it on only for some sites.  I grow weary of every other site on the internet throwing errors, but I need this thing on for my local dev.

[] I have noticed that sometimes when errors come up with Companion.JS, that I can no longer ALT-TAB back to my IE window.  I can select it from my taskbar.  But still, typically I ALT-TAB over to my editor, find the problem and fix it, then ALT-TAB back and... I can't get there.

[] It would be handy of the error popup could come up in the lower right corner.  Then if I want to click on error to see the details, I don't have to move all the way to the bottom of the screen.  This way you minimize mouse movement since most other mouse action happens on the lower right area anyway (where you can expand the error stack)

[] I have noticed that it is unable to show me error lines in the code beyond about line 600 or so.  Could that be fixed?  I have some javascript source that is dynamically combined on the webserver from several other files, so it is difficult to cross reference back to the original source from the provided line numbers.

otherwise, AWESOME tool, I am using it more every day.

#2 2008-06-21 12:04:20

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: Feature Suggestions

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Here are my comments :

It would be nice to be able to turn off the debugbar for certain sites, or better yet, turn it on only for some sites.  I grow weary of every other site on the internet throwing errors, but I need this thing on for my local dev.

What I am doing is just hide the bar by clickin on the "DebugBar" toolbar button. When hidden, the dev bar is not running anymore.
Do you want some different behavior ?

I have noticed that sometimes when errors come up with Companion.JS, that I can no longer ALT-TAB back to my IE window.  I can select it from my taskbar.  But still, typically I ALT-TAB over to my editor, find the problem and fix it, then ALT-TAB back and... I can't get there.

Can you reproduce the bug with a sample page ? That is really strange. Never heard about a similar problem before.

It would be handy of the error popup could come up in the lower right corner.  Then if I want to click on error to see the details, I don't have to move all the way to the bottom of the screen.  This way you minimize mouse movement since most other mouse action happens on the lower right area anyway (where you can expand the error stack)

Good point. I will try to add it as an option in a future release.

I have noticed that it is unable to show me error lines in the code beyond about line 600 or so.  Could that be fixed?  I have some javascript source that is dynamically combined on the webserver from several other files, so it is difficult to cross reference back to the original source from the provided line numbers.

Interesting. Can you provide a sample page with the problem so I can try to correct it ?

Thanks.

#3 2008-06-24 18:02:37

joelarson4

[] i would like to not have to do anything to turn it on and off, but rather configure it so it knows when i want it.  i always want it on in my development areas (one of two domains or localhost) and i never want it anywhere else.  it seems some simple rules could be created to allow a list of domains for which it could be turned on.

[] it always happens for me, every time the page has an error caught by companion.js.  i have windows XP if that helps.

[] cool

[] i can try putting something together

Additionally, today I am wrestling with an error that reports simply:

[-] Invalid argument. (line 3)()
     -> (line 3)

I am pretty sure this must be a result of a problem function running via setTimeout.  But it is going to be hard to discover what that is.  It would be cool if some further clue was given in such a scenario.

thanks!

#4 2008-06-25 11:46:27

fabrice
DebugBar Support

i would like to not have to do anything to turn it on and off, but rather configure it so it knows when i want it.  i always want it on in my development areas (one of two domains or localhost) and i never want it anywhere else.  it seems some simple rules could be created to allow a list of domains for which it could be turned on.

OK, I see. Something like what Firebug is doing. I have this in my todo, but low priority so far. So this may come some day.

it always happens for me, every time the page has an error caught by companion.js.  i have windows XP if that helps.

Really strange. I never had this problem before, and never reported by other users.

i can try putting something together

Additionally, today I am wrestling with an error that reports simply:

[-] Invalid argument. (line 3)()
     -> (line 3)

I am pretty sure this must be a result of a problem function running via setTimeout.  But it is going to be hard to discover what that is.  It would be cool if some further clue was given in such a scenario.

If you could provide a sample URL where I can test, this could be perfect !

Thanks.

#5 2008-06-25 12:20:56

joelarson4

"If you could provide a sample URL where I can test, this could be perfect !"

That's the real trick, because it only happened once every 10 or 15 reloads.

But as it happens, I resolved the error.  I was using a Google script that emulates canvas in IE, and because of some sequencing of events, initializing it after the relavent page was gone.

---

thanks again for this excellent tool.