DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2008-07-05 15:22:53

qfox

IE windows hidden from alt-tab while JS error reported

When the debugger notices an error and the notification shows in the top-left corner of IE, the window does not show up in the alt-tab subwindows. Really annoying.

Using IE 7.0.5730.13 on xp pro sp2 etc

#2 2008-07-07 06:18:34

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: IE windows hidden from alt-tab while JS error reported

Hi,

I suppose you are talking about Companion.JS and not DebugBar. There is a dedicated forum for Companion.JS. Please post on Companion.JS forum next time.

About your problem : The notification window is a child window of IE main window so it does not appear on the taskbar, as well as on the alt-tab menu.

That is the case for most of the inner windows in every software. Only the main window is visible into the taskbar.

#3 2008-07-07 07:30:35

Ricardo

This is also the case of all DebugBar dialogs ("windows").
However, IE can open windows (e.g., pop-ups) in a separate window, selectable with Alt+Tab and that run inside the same process on the system (iexplore.exe).
Can't IE add-ons like DebugBar do the same with its windows? Would be a good feature.

#4 2008-07-07 15:10:30

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

When IE is opening another window (for a popup window for instance), this is a top level window. DebugBar & companion.JS windows as child windows or modal windows and not top level windows, so it should not appear in the taskbar.

To be honest I don't see the interest to have the companion.JS notification window appear on the taskbar and the alt-tab.
If the window would be selected on the taskbar, then this will be the IE top level window that will show up.

#5 2008-07-07 20:27:33

qfox

@fabrice: Uhm, correct, how silly of me.

#6 2008-07-23 16:13:13

qfox

I can understand it for when there's a dialog open (marginally), but the error notification pops up on several sites while I'm regularly browsing. I only want to actually look at the debuginfo when I'm working on my own sites. So I guess I'm just requesting that when the small top-left javascript error notification is up, to allow IE to popup in the alt-tab things. Or to easily allow toggling the companion on or off, without having to go through a whole bunch of menu's.

#7 2008-07-23 16:28:55

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

I think what you want is an option to add hostnames/domains where Companion.JS will be enabled/disabled.

Am I right ?

#8 2008-10-24 08:29:53

qfox

Oh actually, that's not a very bad idea at all. Sorry for the rather late reply wink
But a black/white list filter for sites would be great.
For me more with Companion.JS than DebugBar but both can probably use the same code.

#9 2008-10-24 10:07:10

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Yes, will add it in the todo :-O