DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2008-11-14 00:34:36

Pherdnut

A much less clumsy solution to IE6 testing on Vista than Microsoft's.

The fact that I don't have to open IE 7 is bonus points. Great tool. It's saved me a lot of headaches and already worth money to me.

The only things I would like to see aside from a tool like debugbar attached to it (which I saw is already happening), are a browsing option for local files and a recent history option so I can go back and check to make sure I wasn't testing the wrong version of something after I've closed IE Tester.

Also, does it show up as an actual IE to sites that check your browser version? The less us web devs contribute to IE 6 visitor survey statistics the sooner the beast will die and the happier we'll all be. I'm sure IE 7 and IE 8 will continue to drive demand for this product for at least another decade though.

Oh, and while you're at it, can you replace Office and Vista with something lightweight and sensible too?

#2 2008-11-17 22:58:26

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: A much less clumsy solution to IE6 testing on Vista than Microsoft's.

Hi,

You should already be able to browse local files, either by drag/dropping files or by using "file://" urls. Tell me if it oes not work.

About the recent history that's a good idea. I'll try to add this one on a future release.

Also, does it show up as an actual IE to sites that check your browser version?

What do you mean exactly ?

Oh, and while you're at it, can you replace Office and Vista with something lightweight and sensible too?

Sure !

#3 2008-11-24 15:01:41

Stifu

Re: A much less clumsy solution to IE6 testing on Vista than Microsoft's.

fabrice wrote:

Also, does it show up as an actual IE to sites that check your browser version?

What do you mean exactly ?

He's talking about the user agent, like Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 6.0; Avant Browser; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506).
IETester uses the same UA as the real IE. If IETester actually changed the UA to something else, then it wouldn't work as expected with sites that sniff browsers, ie: it wouldn't be served IE5/6/7 specific content. It doesn't matter anyway, since I doubt many people surf the web using IETester, most people use it for its main feature: testing.

Last edited by Stifu (2008-11-24 15:03:18)