DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2009-11-12 20:03:38

yipinx

Javascript functions do not show up in the Script Tab of DebugBar

He,

Does anyone has an idea why the inline Javascript functions in my webpage are not shown in the script tab? But maybe I have my assumptions wrong... Let me explain...

I want to debug an inline javascript from my web page on IE7. The script uses jquery and is included before I execute this script. Mozilla is working fine. IE7 gives a bug.... untraceable without a lot of effort if one has no debugger. So I installed DebugBar and CompanionJS. This is what I can't do:

- I am not able to set a breakpoint in the gui, or see the functions or variables in the script tab of debugbar or in companionjs.
- When I introduce a bug. companionjs shows the point where the bug occurred in the webpage, yes the script is shown. But it always points to one line before the actual problem!!!

I installed (I assume that you know the software by its installation package):
WINXPSP3 + IE7
IEDevToolBarSetup.msi
scd10en.exe
install-companionjs-v0.5.3.exe
install-debugbar-v5.3.exe
WAMP (apache+php)

What I observed in DebugBar:

- The DOM tab shows the script container in the treeview. When I open the script container, I see the InlineScript leaves and 1 included script container from jquery. If I click on the InlineScript leave or the Script source code leave from my included jquery script, I see the source code (only when the Source button below is active, if any other button is active like style, I see unrelated content.... these unrelated buttons are not disabled).

- The InlineScript leaves in the treeview of the DOM tab are not show'n by their id (although they are defined as id attribute in the script tags.), but by its general debugbar name InlineScript. The script tag with the id and the accompanied source shows up in the source code button area of the inlinescript leaves though. The same counts for the inline stylesheets!!!

- I just discovered where the javascript goes wrong here... debugbar, only shows function declarations, but no variable declarations. so: var a = { get_some:function() { return "something"; } } or similar, doesn't show up. That said, the DOMtab or other tabs hardly shows anything javascript dom related like methods and such.......

- Creating a new test case after the discovery of the previous observation. I see the script tab doesn't distinct between functions from different inline scripts or include scripts. It shows function declarations but no variables are shown. So functionality of jquery or yahoo or whatever is not directly visible, and therefor renders the script tab useless for these kind of coding paradigms.

So my conclusion is that I still can't do javascript debugging, or am I something missing here....?

-----------

Anyway I like many other things like the speed of the "drag to element" target finder. The clarity of its interface, especially the DOMtab is likee likee.. i fixed my css interface really easy, and some runtime errors as well...

Missing features are also with the layout button of the DOMtab, the gui doesn't show markers and rulers of its dimensions on the page itself like firebug though.

But hey, this is a great project, I'm so releaved that someone is actually creating a tool like this for these ... IE ... browsers.

Good Luck to anyone involved in its programming and testing. Keep up this wonderful work!

Yipinx

#2 2009-11-18 08:12:28

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: Javascript functions do not show up in the Script Tab of DebugBar

Hi,

So my conclusion is that I still can't do javascript debugging, or am I something missing here....?

You can't debug javascript yet using DebugBar or Companion.JS. You can do this using the new development tools integrated into IE8 (do step-by-step debugging etc...)

Missing features are also with the layout button of the DOMtab, the gui doesn't show markers and rulers of its dimensions on the page itself like firebug though.

This is in my todo already, it will come at some point in a future version.

Good Luck to anyone involved in its programming and testing. Keep up this wonderful work!

Thanks ;-)