DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2009-10-21 02:26:51

jlkinsel

How to force a cache clear?

Hey guys - Love IETester - gonna save me tons of time I hope.

But...I just noticed that on a page I'm debugging...I can't get the source to refresh when I change the source on the server, the update source does not appear in either "view source" or when I drill down into the DOM.  Only way I was able to get IETester to recognize a change was by removing the page from the server, causing a 404 and then putting it back.

One more datapoint - updating CSS files used by this page was not a problem - specifically the HTML would not refresh, even when I tried Refresh/Refresh Complete/Refresh All/Refresh All Complete.  Restarting IETester didn't help, clearing the cache from within IE8 didn't help (I had to try), restarting the box didn't help.

This is on a Windows 7 box...any thoughts?  Maybe even point me at where IETester keeps it's local cache and I can clear that by hand?

John

#2 2009-10-21 04:02:46

Ricardo

Re: How to force a cache clear?

Are you sure the server was sending updated data? Have you tested with a real IE?
It seems like a problem with the server...

#3 2009-10-21 06:35:19

jlkinsel

Hey Ricardo - nah, worked fine in other browsers...my environment is I've got win7 running in a VM, host OS is OSX, the page updated fine in both Safari and Firefox 3.5

#4 2009-10-21 07:29:10

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

Looks like a very strange problem. I'm not sure it comes from IETester. I would say like Ricardo.

Maybe you should try with the installed IE in your Windows 7 VM machine, so you'll have the same environment as IETester.

Also note that on the new IETester v0.4.2 that will be launched soon, there will be a "disable cache" button. Maybe it should change some behavior.

#5 2009-10-21 07:48:49

jlkinsel

Hey Fabrice - yeah saw mention of the "disable cache" button on the in progress changelog.

I tried with IE8 on the same VM that IETester was on...I'm going to try again tomorrow with an XP VM and see if there's any difference.  For the record, source HTML is generated by Drupal with caching/compression disabled.

I'll update tomorrow.

John

#6 2009-10-21 23:37:01

jlkinsel

OK guys, false alarm of some type.  I'm not positive if my VM host is doing this or what, but it's not specific to IETester.

Just ran the following test:

Brought up a page in several browsers on XP: IETester with IE6, IE7, stand-alone IE8, Safari.  All browsers in the VM show the same page/source.  Updated the source file, reloaded all browsers, none showed the change.  Renamed the page on the server, reloaded one of the browsers to force a 404, then named the page back.  Finally reloaded one of the other browsers, it sees the change.

Meanwhile, browsers outside the VM picked up the change upon reload, didn't even have to shift-reload the page.

I've disabled my antivirus crap, poked around services and don't see anything else that should be proxying my connections, but something is...at this point I'm suspicious of Parallels itself, although that doesn't seem right either.  Anyways, doesn't seem to be IETester. Sorry about the false alarm.

Carry on. wink

John