DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2009-03-26 02:21:19

Paul McKeown

window.external.AddFavorite does not work in IETester

complains that window.external is null or not an object;

this is IE DOM - and should therefore work if this tool is to be trusted

Last edited by Paul McKeown (2009-03-26 02:22:16)

#2 2009-03-26 06:50:17

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: window.external.AddFavorite does not work in IETester

I confirm window.external is null. It is not yet implemented on IETester. I may implement it in a future release.
What is the method you want to use from "window.external" ?

Do you have the specs for "window.external" for IE so I can implement it ?

#3 2009-03-26 15:57:04

Paul McKeown

The list of methods exposed by the IE DOM can be found at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533053(VS.85).aspx

Not all of these, of course, are provided with window.external, many are indeed just W3C, or other standards.  Nevertheless, it is probably sensible to go through the list to check which have been implemented in IETester and which have not.

I suspect that you may have the problem of establishing which methods were implemented when (i.e. in which versions of IE).  I will certainly be happy to help where I can.

To save you time, I have gone through the MSDN documentation to provide you with a list of window.external methods:
AddChannel (don't know when - IE4 probably - deprecated since IE7), AddFavorite (from IE4), AddDesktopComponent(don't know when - IE4 probably), AddSearchProvider (IE7), AddToFavoritesBar (IE8), AutoCompleteSaveForm (IE5), AutoScan (don't know when - IE4 probably - but a rather pointless method, needs to be implemented though, as who knows who uses it), ContentDiscoveryReset (IE8), ImportExportFavorites (IE6 XP SP2, now deprecated, but don't know since when, perhaps since IE8), InPrivateFilteringEnabled (IE8), IsSearchProviderInstalled (IE7), IsServiceInstalled (IE8), IsSubscribed (don't know when - IE4 probably - deprecated since IE7), NavigateAndFind (IE5),  ShowBrowserUI (don't know when first implemented - IE4 probably - but MSDN notes various items of new functionality with updates of OS and/or browser).

I'm sure there are also properties, objects, collections, etc., implemented by window.external; I will try to work through the list tomorrow for you.

Some of the methods provided in the list above are clearly more important than others - the deprecated/obsolete ones are clearly less important, whilst AddFavorite and those first implemented in IE7 and IE8 are more important.  Those that provide access to Microsoft specific browser functionality (e.g. AddFavorite) must be more important than functionality that can be implemented by a combination of ECMAScript possibly with the support of server code in Perl/PHP (e.g. NavigateAndFind).

Hope this helps.

Hope my original report didn't sound too grumpy - it was very late at night and I needed to go to bed!

Regards,
Paul.

Last edited by Paul McKeown (2009-03-26 15:57:36)

#4 2009-03-27 19:32:56

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

Based on your methods, I have added the window.external interface, and it will be present on the next IETester release.

The methods are not implemented, and they just display a message box saying that the method has been called.

#5 2009-03-27 22:19:23

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Here is the IETester implementation :

http://www.my-debugbar.com/wiki/IETester/WindowExternal

#6 2011-09-13 12:15:31

psdie

Hi Fabrice - the pop up alert on every window.external references (e.g., THREE per page if using AddThis.com code) makes IETester unusable for sites that acess window.external - please could you add the ability to turn these off?  I thought ticking [Experimental features > Disable "window.external" feature] would do this, but it makes no difference (v0.4.11). 

Personally I can't see much value in the alerts; I'd suggest disabling them by default?

Many thanks!  Ben

Last edited by psdie (2011-09-13 12:18:51)