DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2008-06-10 12:39:37

aghatak

code license?

fabrice,

i have a windows app that’s heavily integrated with IE's embedded activex control (a desktop / webapp). this is causing a lot of instability in the app because of our dependency on the users installed IE version.

i was thinking of bundling a version of IE that would be universally compatible with our webapp.

getting to the point:

- would you be willing to license your code so that we can embed & bundle a compatible IE version in our application?
- are you aware of any EULA issues?
- are you aware of the compatibility issues with non XP/vista machines of such an approach?

cheers

amitabh

#2 2008-06-10 12:52:22

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: code license?

- would you be willing to license your code so that we can embed & bundle a compatible IE version in our application?

Why not. But it is not yet stable, has a lot of bugs and I am not sure it is ready to be integrated into a  "production" software.

- are you aware of any EULA issues?

Looks like it is illegal to redistribute IE dlls, and it is even more illegal to install different versions of IE dlls into the same machine. So MS could be unhappy about that...

- are you aware of the compatibility issues with non XP/vista machines of such an approach?

I never tested on 2000. The core engine of IETester should work, but the code is far from been mature, and has a lot of bugs and crashes even in XP and Vista. For instance, the Print feature is not working yet, cookies are not working with IE6, as well as java and flash.

Are you using a lot of C++ code ? or is your mainly HTML/JS code ?

#3 2008-06-10 13:23:36

aghatak

you can check it out: wwwpartypoker.com

we embed a lot of html in our c++ client and have interactivity between the web content & native app (e.g. clicking on a button in html will perform some action in the client. we also call a lot of JS methods from c++ -> web.

basically, we want to give the user a desktop app like experience for our web stuff.

we get quite a few crashes for mshtml.dll / ieframe.dll / wininet.dll etc. some we've solved by improving the web code, some impossible to debug/repro.

our web stuff doesnt really use print/java/flash so im not really worried on that front.

amitabh

#4 2008-06-10 13:58:52

fabrice
DebugBar Support

I will have a look at your site soon.

About the crashes, you have some crashes with some IE version, and by trying to another machine on another IE version you don't get the crash anymore ?

#5 2008-06-14 18:07:57

Ricardo

Hmmm...
partypoker.com...

I've already seen many spam popups opening that site...
May it be some type of agressive marketing, using disrespectful tactics?