DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2012-07-11 00:04:13

Breach

IE9 compatibility view list influences rendering behaviour

I spent about 2 hours investigating an interesting problem with IETester - frankly I don't know whether it's a bug or by design but it doesn't seem right to me.

I'm using IE 9 on Win7 and IETester v0.4.11. The site I'm testing (which I can't share) is on IE9's compatibility view list published by Microsoft. So when IE9 is set to use that list and I test the site in IE8 mode IETester switches to IE7 Strict rendering (and I'm seeing bugs which I don't see under a native IE 8 installation as the site is not on the latest IE 8 list). If IE9 is set not to use the MS list I get proper IE8 Standards rendering.

So it seems that IETester takes into account the IE9 list into account for displaying IE6/7/8 rendering that doesn't seem right to me because:

a) I don't see why it should read the list anyway or at least this should be controllable behaviour
b) The IE9 list is about IE9 compatibility - IE8 has its own list. Besides the IE9 one is somewhat different (flags etc)
c) Confusion ensues...