DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2012-03-30 18:37:31

gtr053

IE10 on Windows 8

IE: Internet Explorer 10 Consumer Preview
IETester: IETester v0.4.11
IE Tab: New IE10
URL: http://whatsmyuseragent.com/
Directions:
I followed the directions to get IE10 working in IETester. However, the folder containing IE10 is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\". So I created shortcuts to the files and folders inside (which should work the same and will allow for updates to said files and folders without having to copy the files after updates) the ietester.ie10.exe.local folder. The New IE10 button became enabled. However, it renders as IE9. In fact, it even uses the IE9 user-agent. Take a look at the page located at the above URL. In IE10 itself, it reports IE10. Try using the <input type="range" /> element and you will notice that it doesn't render the same as it would in IE10. That's just one example of improper renderings. So ultimately this could probably be fixed by supporting Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 8 without any extra configuration.

EDIT: Also, pressing the "New IE5.5" button gives the error "Unable to load the requested IE Version."

Last edited by gtr053 (2012-03-31 07:08:49)

#2 2012-03-30 20:45:27

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: IE10 on Windows 8

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't test IETester on Windows 8 yet, I will try to do to as soon as I find some time.

#3 2012-04-08 17:41:58

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

I just tested IETester on windows 8.

IE10 is showing as IE9 on the user agent string. I suppose there are some flags to set on the registry to enable IE10 compat by app (as it used to be the case on IE8 and IE9).
I'll try to fix this on the next IETester release.

BTW, you don't need to use the "New IE10" button, and you should use the "Default IE" which is IE10 on windows 8.

#4 2012-08-19 10:27:16

brain_death

Hi,

I'm running IETester on Windows 8 x64 RTM.

IE6, IE7 and IE8 all work well in your program and I can test IE10 since it is installed by the OS. The IE5.5 tab is grayed out (who cares?) but unfortunately so if IE9, so could you test this and maybe suggest a fix or a future upgrade? Most of my IE visitors use IE9 these days so this will otherwise be a stumbling block in my upgrade path to Windows 8...

Many thanks. Your program is an absolute godsend btw and has helped me fix issues that have persisted for years.

\(..)/

#5 2012-09-09 19:28:57

brain_death

Hi,

I thought you might be interested in some feedback on your new version 0.4.12…

-- Under Windows 7 x64:

1. The IE7 tab only works online and not locally.

2. The IE9 tab crashes, but IE9 is still testable as the browser default.

3. The IE10 tab is grayed out. Installing the Platform Preview isn’t really any substitute…

-- Under Windows 8 x64 (RTM):

1. The IE7 tab only works online and not locally.

2. IE8 does not work at all on my machine, whereas it did under version 0.4.11.

3. The IE9 tab crashes, so that IE9 is not testable either.

4. Clicking the IE5.5 tab gives a message “Unable to load the requested IE version”.

5. IE10 works great as the browser default.

Who cares about IE5.5 anyhow? Thanks for all your hard work!

#6 2012-09-10 22:34:58

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Thansk for the feedback !

IETester 0.4.12 is mainly bug fixes and code cleaning. I'll work on stability and better integration now that the code is clean.

I'll try to address some of your items soon.

For IE5.5, I wanted to remove it, but it looks like some people are still using it to test quircks mode (not sure what they are testing exactly...)
See:

http://www.my-debugbar.com/forum/t580-T … IE5.5.html

http://www.my-debugbar.com/forum/t938-p … IE5.5.html

Those threads are old btw, maybe I could remove it in a future version.

#7 2012-09-11 10:12:54

brain_death

Hi Fabrice,

Thanks too for your reply and like I say great product...

I try to support as many old versions of IE as I can, even if this means more time spent working with IE6/7 than it does every other browser put together, while at the same time encouraging people to move to IE8 at least.

As I understand it IE5.5 was bundled with Windows ME and died a death back in the Jurassic Era along with the Windows 9x branch, of which the tragically named Windows ME was the final and lamest representative.

Although if I could I would continue to support those poor unfortunates still struggling with machines dating back to before 2001 when Windows XP (and IE6) were released, IE5.5 seems to handle the sort of JavaScript that is basically taken for granted nowadays very badly.

Though the ability to test IE6 in IETester is in my view on of its strongest points, in a world where a number of websites will be going dark for anything earlier than IE9 on October 26, there comes a point as with Netscape Navigator 4.8 or Windows 3.1 for example, where you just have to say look sorry, but your computer is too old...

Maybe the advent of IE10 is a good moment to do that?

Just my two cents!

PS: There is no need for testing quirks mode, so long as you have specified a !DOCTYPE.

Last edited by brain_death (2012-09-11 10:27:44)