DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2008-09-06 17:49:38

stoub

Thanks! And RFE: when closing IETester, give option to save tab state

First, I want to say how much I appreciate this software. After being solely on a Mac for several months, I finally broke down yesterday and bought a copy of Windows just so that I could do browser testing in IE. I wasn't thinking too much about which version of Windows and picked up Vista. I got it running in a VirtualBox virtual machine and was able to use IE7 no problem. But when I started looking at how I'd be able to use multiple versions of IE, I ran into problems. After several hours of investigation, I discovered that the two most publicized solutions didn't work for me:
1. TredoSoft's Multiple IE installer: This only works for XP, not for Vista.
2. Microsoft's IE App Compatibility VPC Image: I actually attempted to run OS X as host of a guest VirtualBox VM with Vista as a host of guest Virtual PC VM with these WinXP/IE images, but I got some kind of Virtual PC error.

I was in the processing of asking for help in the Apple forums and in my Google searching to document the above, I somehow ran across this post for the first time:
     http://www.windowsreference.com/windows … n-vistaxp/
This led me to IETester, which seems to work great in my guest Vista VM on my Mac. Thank you so much for developing this software!

I guess my biggest comment is to improve your SEO so that more people know about IETester and what a great piece of software it is! The query terms I was using were things like "multiple versions ie" "ie6 and ie7 on vista". It was a search for "run multiple ie versions microsoft" (I was looking for the link to the Virtual PC images on the Microsoft site; this was the first query that used the term "microsoft") that gave me success, where the post above was hit #5.

If I had one request for enhancement, the biggest thing I'm missing is that when I restart IETester, I lose the tabs from my previous session. Firefox3, my primary browser, and IE7, it seems, allow me to save the state of my tabs when closing the browser so that when I reopen the app the next time, the state of the tabs from my last session open up automatically. In IETester, I have different tabs open, one for each IE version. If this enhancement is implemented, I would expect that I would be able to have the option to reopen IETester and find that each tab would be exactly as I left it the last time when I closed the application: not just each URL in place, but the same IE version in each tab as it was before I had closed IETester the last time.

That would be ideal, but something else that would also save time, but that might be easier to implement would be a UI control for "View page in all IE versions": for whatever URL you're looking at, and once you hit the "View page in all IE versions" button, it would open new tabs for all the different IE versions IETester supports, all with that URL so that you can easily see how that page looks in all the different versions of IE.

#2 2008-09-07 13:46:46

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: Thanks! And RFE: when closing IETester, give option to save tab state

Hi,

Thank you vor your feedback.

The session saver is a good idea, I will try to add it in a future release.

The "View page in all IE versions" has been already requested several times by other users, so, it is already in my todo list ;-)