DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2009-02-13 11:38:35

Crash2975

"document" not recognised?

I've had to uninstall the new version 0.4.2 (having used the old version for ages) because it fails to recognise "document" as a valid object - 'document' is undefined - so pages that use getElementById for example generate errors.

Worse, on a page I was just using, the highlighted line in the source code bore no relation to the displayed error.

I've uninstalled it, rebooted, reinstalled it and it's the same.

XP SP 2 with IE7 and the MS Developers toolbar, (Chrome also installed)

Last edited by Crash2975 (2009-02-13 11:40:10)

#2 2009-02-13 12:52:25

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Re: "document" not recognised?

Hi,

What was the version number of the old version ? Did you installed Visual Studio 2008 meanwhile ? Do you have a same url where the problem can be reproduced ?

Thanks.

#3 2009-02-23 17:56:23

spi

Hi,

I have the same problem.
When I open a popup with the "window.open" instruction, the opened page sends me this error "document is undefined" (the exact message is "'document' est indéfini" in french). If I type "document" in the console, it shows me the same message. By deactivating companion JS module in IE, the error is not there anymore and the website is fully functionnal.

I have XP and the latest version of Companion JS and IE 6. I have also the debug bar and the developer bar.

By the way, thank you for this great plugin, a must have for every developer.

#4 2009-02-23 18:02:43

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

Do you have Visual Studio installed ? Which version (or which versions, if several versions installed) ? Also did you installed Microsoft Script Debugger ?

Do you have a sample url where I could reproduce the problem ?

Thanks.

#5 2009-02-24 00:04:50

Crash2975

Hi Fabrice - sorry, I wasn't aware of your original reply and didn't get an auto-notification (though did for these last two).

Yes, I have both VS 2005 and 2008 installed. I did set and/or cleared the option that advertised itself as being added for VS users. I don't think that the MS debugger is installed, as that's not a good bedfellow with VS, but will check tomorrow in case it was on the machine already.

As spi reports, the web page was completely trashed by the new version - but worked fine with my previous version (0.3).

#6 2009-02-24 00:07:40

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Thanks for the feedback.

I managed to connect to the new Debugger interfaces versions introduced in VS2008 (and maybe VS2005) and IE8.
So now Companion.JS can connect to the debugger in protected mode as well.
But about the document problem, that is very strange.
I will try to prepare a custom install of the new Companion.JS version and see if it corrects your problem.

By the way, when you go to the "About" box of Companion.JS, what is the information text displayed ?

Thanks.

#7 2009-02-24 00:26:52

Crash2975

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I had to uninstall Companion.JS again because I couldn't load pages I need for my work. If I get time this week I'll try to install it a third time and report back.

#8 2009-02-24 00:31:27

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Better solution for you is to wait for the new version... I am working on it, trying to integrate the new script debugger engine from MS.

#9 2009-02-24 01:25:11

Crash2975

OK Fabrice, thanks - I look forward to trying it. The old .3 version has been very useful.

#10 2009-02-24 08:58:33

spi

Hi,

I have Visual Studio 2003, 2005 and 2008 but don't use it to debug JS. I don't think I have the MS Script Debugger.
I'm sorry, I can't show you the webpage that has the problem, it's not available frou outside.

Here's my about dialog
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4092/aboutcompjs.png

Crash, you can temporarily deactivate the module instead of uninstall it.

Thanks for your help fabrice.

#11 2009-02-25 01:05:16

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

I found the problem. Trying to find a workaround...