DOC / WIKI 
 FORUM 
 CONTACT 
Stay tuned : rss feed

Forum Home

advanced search

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forums are now closed as we moved them to google groups. You can use the following Google Groups to discuss about DebugBar and IETester products:

#1 2010-03-16 21:51:59

rhinox202

IE9 Platform Preview

I was just wondering if you had thought about adding the IE9 Preview to IETester.  It is a standalone download, incase you were thinking you may.  It doesn't come with an address bar either which makes testing a little difficult, although you can use Page -> Open.  Anyway, just curious... no rush :-D

#2 2010-03-17 02:50:20

Ricardo

Re: IE9 Platform Preview

I was about to say something about it too...

The way they implemented IE's core files resembles the way Fabrice did with IETester.
Files used by IE's engine are inside a folder named "iepreview.exe.local".
Maybe it would be possible to Fabrice, as being a developer, to take a deep look inside that idea and improve the current IETester implementation?

#3 2010-03-17 21:57:32

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hi,

That's a good question. It should be easy to add IE9 preview to IETester, but I'll try to contact Microsoft first. As it is not legal, I prefer to be sure they accept this.

I don't want to be in troubles with Microsoft :-O

#4 2010-03-19 08:10:20

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Thinking about IE9.... I don't think adding the ddl into IETester installer is a good idea because of legal issues.

But it could be very easy for a user to install IE9 preview and copy/paste the folder into a special IETester subfolder so IETester can  use IE9 engine when installed by the user.

It will require some little manual install from the user but should be legal.

What do you think ?

#5 2010-03-19 20:55:20

rhinox202

That sounds great!  I don't mind a little manual copying if I can use the address bar.  That way out weighs any cons.  Thanks :-D

#6 2010-03-19 21:03:00

Ricardo

Seems good. Maybe it would just need you to add a toolbar button that's activated when the files are available.

#7 2010-04-21 14:22:16

rhinox202

Sweet... thanks so much.  One thing that isn't a big deal, but it says "New IE8" under the IE9 icon.  Other than that, everything seems to work good and it's easy to configure.  Thanks again!

#8 2010-04-21 14:26:36

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Thanks.

Might be a bug in the translation file. I'll correct this for the next release.

#9 2010-04-21 18:28:28

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Hm, that's really strange. I don't have this problem on my side....

#10 2010-04-22 10:13:10

tzsolti

It is working well under vista. It would be nice if it would work under xp too; now it crashes because of an unknown reason.
About the "New IE9" problem I observed too the bug. I'm using the hungarian translation, and the following problems appear:

1. the "New IE9" is written with IE8
2. when moving mouse over the "New IE9" icon, the hint won't appear
3. when moving mouse over the "Default IE" icon, the hint won't appear

#11 2010-04-22 10:40:19

fabrice
DebugBar Support

Rght. I think some default entries are missing. I'll correct this in the next release.

About XP, I'll need to check, but I suspect the ieç dlls are depending on specific APIS from Vista and Win7, so it won't be possible to make it work on XP. I'll try anyway.